Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Baby's first month

Indigo turned a month old, and it sure has been a roller coaster having a new little person around. She is quite the little doll. We're very lucky to have her in our life, and I never loved anything more than her (and my hubby of course!) She's our little bundle of joy. She smiles at us, and can look at us, which melts our heart every time. She's a great baby though, and only cries when there's a good reason. We've loved learning more about her, and about life with a baby. It's definitely an adjustment!

For the first few weeks, she was sleeping great at night (5-7 hour stretches)... almost too great since she wasn't gaining weight like she should. At 3 weeks she hit a growth spurt, and ever since then she's been eating like crazy, but not sleeping as much. Darn! And I thought I was going to have it good. Tomás has been a great support for me though, and makes her nighttime feedings like a sleepover. Whenever I wake to feed her, he gets up and whips out our laptop and an episode of Flight of the Conchords for me to watch while she feeds, and grabs me a snack or drink if I need it. It makes getting up at night a little more enjoyable. Sometimes we don't finish an episode in one sitting, but we always get back to it within a few hours. :)

Indigo's already had many of her "firsts." Her first blowout, first walk outside, first trip to the doctor's office, first bath, first major spit-up where it came out her nose too (she doesn't spit-up at all really), first outing where we forgot the diaper bag and regretted it, first trip to the movies, first newborn photo shoot (which you can view if you click HERE.) and so on. It's been a lot of fun having a little one. 

I'm strictly breastfeeding her, and it's been a learning experience for me. Her latch still isn't perfect, but we've come a long way from the start. The first few minutes after she was born, in the hospital, she wouldn't open her mouth big enough, or stay awake long enough to latch at all, and I had to self express and they fed a few tiny drops of colostrum to her with a spoon. Those few days in the hospital, I was lucky for her to feed for 5 minutes straight. I'm lucky now, she can chomp down for 30 minutes no problem. We've both grown, and I've learned so much about breastfeeding. I love it even more now than before. I'm glad I've become more comfortable with breastfeeding that I can go out in public and be confident to feed wherever I am. It's so convenient!

At Indigo's 1 month appointment, she weighed 10 lbs, 8 oz, and measured 22.5 inches long. She's growing! She's already wearing her 3-6 month clothes, and has the cutest rolls ever. We just love her to pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment